Valve clearances are now done. With the cam cover off I inspected what I could of the cams and cam chain. The cams and chain look pretty good but the top idler had a lot of twist in it. This worried me a bit and despite the idlers being pretty expensive I though it best to change it since if it broke then the top end of the engine is potentially toast.
Having got the idler out it looked shagged, with day light showing round the centre bearing..
After some searching on the internet and a couple of phone calls I eventually got a replacement pattern gear from z-power. I took the chain tension out and cleaned it up prior to retentioning the cam chain because it seemed to be sticking when the clamp bolt was loosened off. Now it’s all back together again.
Next task it to clean the engine casings and give them a coat of paint. Then polish the side covers and back in with the motor 🙂