I found a number of snippets of information on the internet and in the manual about carburettor setup. Putting these all together seem to suggest 3 critical areas to adjust and check.
First was the slide heights. The sliders all need to be set at the same height from the base of the carb body. Manual says 0.7mm on the engine side. However a couple of other articles suggested an alternative of using a 2-3mm drill on the intake side as a guide. So i used 4 x 3mm drills, one inserted in the air filter side of the carb just under the slides as shown in the pictures.
I then adjusted the slides so that the drill was a tight fit under the slide. Just enough of a tight fit to drag on the drill when it is pulled out.
Secondly the float heights were setup. I went though the process of attaching a tube to the drain holes in the float bowls one by one to measure the float height then adjusting the tang on the float to get the height correct. This was a major pain in the ass and didn’t work very well. So I then took a float bowl off and filled it with fuel. I then put a float in it and measure from the top of the float to the surface of the fuel. Using this measurement (10mm) I put a pencil mark on the side of the floats to indicate where the fuel level would be. I then refitted the float and blew into the fuel feed while moving the float to find the point where the float valve stopped the air flow. I then used a 5mm drill as a guide on the base of the carb body to see if it aligned with the pencil mark. If not I adjusted it accordingly. After reassembling the carbs I checked the float heights again with the pipe in the drain plug hole method and they were all good. Fitted new drain plug seals at the this point to stop them leaking.
Finally I set the pilot jet screws 1.5 turns out as per the manual.
Refitted the carbs, throttle cable, fuel tank, air filters and left it over night. I couldn’t face the possibility of it running like crap after all that and that late at night, so I left it.
I started the bike tonight. Fired first go with full choke and half choke after 30 sec. Ran pretty well despite the exhaust blowing a bit. After it had warmed up a bit i rode it a few yards up the road and back. It’s running pretty good, seems a little hesitant on < 14 throttle but other than that its a lot better than it was 🙂
Just ordered a number plate. Hopefully I could try and MOT it next week.